Thessaloniki Museum of Photography
Located at the port of Thessaloniki in Northern Greece, the Thessaloniki Museum of Photography (TMP) is the only state museum in Greece dedicated solely to the art of photography. It was founded in 1997 and after one year began being established. The Thessaloniki Museum of Photography is under the supervision of the Hellenic Ministry of Culture and Sports.
In December 2001 the Thessaloniki Museum of Photography was housed at the first floor of Warehouse A at the Port of Thessaloniki.
The basic principle of the museum is to collect, preserve and promote photographic heritage as well as contemporary art. Its collections and archives are constituted by more than 100.000 photographic objects.
In its archives which cover the period from 1890-1980 are included works by Socrates Ioannidis, Yiannis Stylianou and Dinitris Letsios, part of the archives of Costas Balafas and Nelly’s while the Museum also function as a safekeeper of the Greek part of the Boissonnas collection, which belongs to the Hellenic Ministry of Culture. Concerning its collections which are either purchased or donations they cover the period from 1970 till today and include more than 2000 works from 200 artists from Greece and abroad.